Cool Reading and Writing Websites
While researching for a class or event, we often stumble upon some great sites to supplement learning. One of the beautiful things about the internet is its ability to connect young writers to each other and to great resources that inspire them and help them improve. Here are some of our current favourites. Remember to check back regularly, we’ll be updating this page with our new discoveries.
- Pixar’s 22 rules for storytelling: Simple tips (and fun Pixar movie stills) for aspiring writers.
- Book reviews by kids for kids: A huge comprehensive list for when your young writer laments, “I’ve got nothing to read!” (as if that were possible!)
- (For older kids) A great list of some common and some lesser known rhetorical devices: These are meant to be used when reading Shakespeare’s plays but can be used for reading and writing other things, anything from classic poetry to modern novels! Bonus points if you can pronounce all of these without getting totally tongue twisted (< there’s some alliteration for you)
- A great site for classic poetry: Poems are sorted out so that you can read one per each day of the school year. Challenge yourself to read and analyse a new one each day.
- Sarah Brennan’s blog: A Hong Kong-based children’s author and publisher who regularly runs her own writing contests for kids from Hong Kong and all around the world!
- Myth Generator: – Pick your monster, hero and location, and this myth machine will whip up a cool picture for you to play around with. Great inspiration for anyone with writer’s block looking for a fun writing activity.
- (For older kids) A great guide for those who love history or reading historical novels: Detailed lists and reviews of books from different time periods for those looking for a good read.
Brought to you by ECP, Writers' Crossing offers resources, inspiration and a community for young writers. Browse this blog for creative writing prompts, exercises, and examples of student writing to spark your imagination, develop your writing skills, and fuel your writing dreams.